Echoes of His Mercy

My life will forever echo His mercy, so vast, so free, so astounding, poured out on my desperate heart.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Some Favorite Quotes from Pride and Prejudice

Finals are here, which means that winter break is fast approaching! But in order to get to the break, I have to get through the upcoming week of tests and papers. In order to free myself up, I'm going to be taking a break from writing for about 10 days, though I'll still post quotes and quick thoughts every so often.

Here's my first installment of quotes. They're all from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. Granted, they are ten times more humorous when read in their context, rather than misplaced. But even if you've never read Austen, I'm sure that you will find her witty and creative language entertaining. These are some lines from the first half of the book that I enjoy, in particular:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

"Pride," observed Mary, who piqued herself upon the solidity of her reflections, "is a very common failing, I believe...I am convinced that human nature is particularly prone to it."

"We must trespass a little longer on your kindness."

"Your humility, Mr. Bingley," said Elizabeth, "must disarm reproof." "Nothing is more deceitful," said Darcy, "than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion and sometimes an indirect boast."

"I have not the pleasure of understanding you."

"Those who do not complain are never pitied."

"I dare say you will find him very agreeable."

"Heaven forbid! That would be the greatest misfortune of all! To find a man agreeable whom one is determined to hate! Do not wish me such an evil!"

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home